Fortunato Mazzone –
Fortunato Mazzone – Cheat Carbonara
30 - 40 Min
250g fresh or dried, egg based pasta
(fettuccine or tagliatelle)
50ml B-well Extra
Virgin Olive oil
100g Pancetta or very fatty streaky bacon
100g Parmesan cheese grated
(or pecorino for purists)
3 Large full eggs
2 Plump garlic cloves,
peeled and left whole
Pinch of sea salt and
freshly grated black pepper
Pinch of mixed micro
herbs for garnish
- Place the pasta in briskly boiling salted water.
- In a moderately warm pan, fry the diced pancetta and two whole smashed garlic cloves in B-well Extra Olive oil. It must become crispy and curly.
- From the water, take the pasta out with tongs, taking care not to drain all the water as the moisture will be necessary for the creaminess of the sauce. DO NOT USE CREAM AT ANY POINT.
- Stir the pasta into the oily pancetta and season with salt and black pepper.
- Take the pan off the heat. With a fork quickly break the eggs up in a bowl and stir with the grated parmesan top form a cheesy eggy cream.
- Stir into the pasta, coating it with the mixture but without scrambling the egg.
- Serve immediately with a grind of black pepper and a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Garnish with micro herbs to look pretty.
- If it is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of the hot pasta water for creaminess.