Ramon Gouws –
Asian Steak Tartare
Ramon Gouws – Asian Steak Tartare
For the Steak Tartare Base:
400g good quality beef fillet/
Bavette/ Hangar, finely minced
100g red onion, fine brunois
20g sesame seeds, toasted
For the Wasabi Salsa Verde:
30g wasabi leaves, finely
10g celery shoots, as is
5g garlic chives, finely
2T soy sauce
1T sesame oil
2t rice vinegar
For the Yellow Pepper Gel:
200g yellow pepper puree
For the Miso Mayo:
30g miso paste
100g B-Well Tangy & Creamy Mayonnaise
For the garnish:
12 baby Tatsoi leaves
12 wild garlic flowers
12 coriander flowers
Method to prepare the steak tartare:
- Thoroughly mix the beef with the red onion until well incorporated and season to taste without pepper.
Method to prepare the Salsa Verde:
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk until emulsified.
- Add in all the herbs, fold through and do not season.
Method to prepare the Yellow Pepper Gel:
Warm the yellow pepper puree with the sugar.
Add in the bloomed gelatine and let set in the refrigerator.
Blend until smooth.
Method to prepare the Miso Mayo:
- In a double boiler, add the miso paste, water and honey and cook until smooth- for about 4 minutes, then let it cool.
- Add the cold miso mixture to the B-Well Mayonnaise, and mix through very well, then pass through a fine sieve.
- Once passed, spoon into a squeeze bottle.
To assemble the dish:
- Spoon the steak tartare mixture onto a plate into a ring cutter and even out.
- Mix the wasabi salsa verde again and carefully drizzle over the top of the Steak Tartare.
- Dot the yellow pepper gel randomly over the top of the tartare.
- Dot the miso mayo over the top of the tartare.
- Garnish with 3 of each of the garnishes per plate.
- Sprinkle with salt.