Karen Blanchè –
Karen Blanchè – Savoury Buns
2 ¼ Tsp Active dry yeast
½ cup Warm water (about 43˚C)
2/3 cups Milk – room temperature
3 Tbsp B-Well Canola Oil
3 ½ Tsp Sugar1
¼ Tsp Salt
3 cups All purpose flour
Filling of your choice
1 Large egg white
1 Tbsp Water
¼ cups Sesame seeds
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Let the mixture stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Whisk the milk, the large egg, and melted butter together to blend. Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture along with the sugar, salt, and flour.
- Knead the dough by hand or machine for 8 to 10 minutes, adding a little more flour if necessary to keep the dough from sticking to hands, counter-top, or the sides of the bowl. The dough should be smooth and elastic at this point.
- Generously grease a large bowl with butter or oil. Gather the dough into a ball and place it into the greased bowl.
- Turn over a few times to coat the dough thoroughly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the pan.
- Punch down and pat the dough down.
- Roll into a oval shape.
- Fill with your favorite fillings like – pesto, roast chicken and cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
- For the egg wash, combine the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk to blend. Brush with the egg wash mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.